“What can I expect from an Ametz Homestudy?”
Anyone who wishes to adopt must have a homestudy, but at Ametz we believe a homestudy is more than a legal requirement. It's an opportunity to explore and discuss the route to parenthood that's right for you.
An Ametz social worker will come to your home to learn more about you and your family. She will then write a summarty report used by courts, agencies, attorneys, federal offices, and foreign countries throughout the adoption process.
“The homestudy went way beyond what was required. Ametz was always there for reassurance, questions, and follow-up.”
Ten Myths about Adoption
1. MYTH: There are no kids to adopt.
2. MYTH: If I adopt internationally, I don’t have to worry about talking to my child about birth parents or anyone ringing the doorbell.
3. MYTH: It takes longer for non-traditional families (singles, gays and lesbians, and older couples) to adopt.
4. MYTH: Adoption is very expensive.
5. MYTH: All adopted kids have ADD, ADHD, emotional problems, or behavioral issues.
6. MYTH: No one will tell me the best way to adopt…I feel alone in the process.
7. MYTH: I can get all the information I need on the Internet.
8. MYTH: Once I adopt, I can just blend into the crowd and not discuss adoption.
9. MYTH: If I am comfortable with adoption, my friends and families will be, as well.
10. MYTH: If you tell the school your child is adopted, they will identify that for any academic, behavioral, or social issues that arise.
Your Ametz social worker is your advocate. We encourage you to ask lots of questions and discuss all your concerns.
Remember, there are no perfect families. You do not have to be rich or have a alrge home. In fact, many families do not have a separate room for a child at the time of the home visit.
To learn more about what you can expect form a homestudy, download Kathy Brodsky's recent article: The Adoption Homestudy: What are they REALLY looking for?