Brooklyn Democracy Academy
Brooklyn Democracy Academy is a transfer school–a small, academically rigorous high school designed to reengage and support students who have dropped out or fallen behind, and, as a result, are lacking sufficient credits for their age and grade. Transfer schools offer personalized learning environments with smaller class settings. Brooklyn Democracy Academy (BDA) is a partnership between the NYC Department of Education and JCCA.
“I was just taking up space in my other high school. I wasn’t really motivated. But the minute I came to BDA, I felt comfortable. Everyone here made me feel supported and helped me believe I could go for it and succeed,” he says. Read more >
BDA is committed to providing an interesting, challenging educational program that helps students overcome obstacles and attain their goals. We are committed to building a community where students, staff, and families work together to support students’ needs. Together, we help our students earn a high school diploma, explore their interests, and build important life skills. We prepare our graduates for post-secondary education and/or employment, healthy personal relationships, and active participation in the community.
Supportive, personalized learning environment
- Small school of 200 students
- 20-25 students per class
- Individualized relationships with Advocate Counselors who provide support and guidance
- Highly qualified teachers who address the learning styles of each student
Opportunities for personal growth and career development
- Workshops and seminars to develop talents and interests
- Leadership, employment and independent living skills development
- Paid internships throughout the school year and employment opportunities after graduation
- Community service activities
- College/career exploration and planning
- CUNY At Home In College Program (CUNY college courses at BDA)
- APEX Learning Online courses
- State of the art Media Center and computer lab
- Hydrophonics hands-on science class
- Extracurricular activities, including PSAL (Public School Athletic League) boys’ and girls’ basketball teams, day/overnight college trips (SUNY, CUNY, HBCU), chess club, cheerleading, step team, annual talent and fashion show
Brooklyn Democracy Academy is a partnership of JCCA and the NYC Department of Education.