Foster Home Services
Medically Fragile Foster Care
Sara Nassimi, LCSW, Program Director, Brooklyn Specialized Programs
870 East 29th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11210
Todd Leonard, LCSW, Program Director, Bronx Specialized Programs
555 Bergen Avenue, 4th Floor, Bronx, NY 10455
When children in foster care have serious medicalconditions, they are placed in foster homes withcaregivers who are specially trained to providelife-sustaining medications, treatments, equipment,accompaniment to multiple appointments,and assistance with daily living activities.
- A foster parent who wants to learn how to provide special care and support for children with special medical needs, and their families
- A foster parent who believes that all children deserve to be cared for in a safe, nurturing environment and is willing to provide this for a child with special medical needs
- Children who have special medical needs and must live in specialized foster homes.
- Foster parents who are trained to address the child’s medical needs and are provided with extensive supportive services
- A social worker who will visit the foster home monthly
- A registered nurse who will visit the foster home monthly
- A sociotherapist who will interact with the family weekly
- Individual and family counseling
- Support groups for parents and caregivers
- Assistance with all medical issues and health care coordination
- Trainings related to specific medical needs
- Family support services
- Exceptional case management
- Referrals to various supportive services (e.g., Bridges to Health program)
The staff brings a range of experience and skills to help children and families in the foster care system who have medical needs.
Licensed, Master’s level social workers and sociotherapists:
- Skilled professionals have been trained to understand and respond to the family’s needs and issues. The team has smaller caseloads in order to provide more intensive services.
- Each child has a nurse who makes a monthly home visit, assists foster parents with medical appointments, and is able to respond to urgent medical needs.
Additional staff resources:
- Available services include a pediatrician, psychologist, psychiatric nurse practitioner, recruiter/trainer, and additional medical staff as needed.